Saturday, May 28, 2016

On The Drawing Board

I'm sure a lot of people are wondering what's going on with my other projects for supporting Beyond the Wall. Currently I've got three projects on the board in varying degrees of development. Those include the revision of the GM screen and reference pack, a sandbox setting for people to enjoy, and the spell cards. Much as I would love to include possible release dates, I don't want to get people's hopes up and have them dashed when real life intrudes. Just know that I'm working on these as time allows.

EDIT: As a belated side note, all artwork is copyright 2016 Shaman's Stock Art, Misfit Studios, Outland Arts, and Inked Adventures.

The GM Screen and Reference Pack

With the release of Further Afield and Heroes Young and Old, there's been a lot of new information that needs to be indexed - namely spells, monsters, NPCs, traits, and skills. The information on the GM screen will not change as it's meant to be used with the rulebook. I haven't fully decided if I'm going to build and include a landscape format for the GM screen. Some of the things you can expect to see in the revision include:
  • Updated indices for spells, monsters and NPCs
  • A listing of skills and traits (COMPLETED)
  • A two-page, form-fillable character sheet (COMPLETED)
  • Character and adventure tracking sheets for GMs. (WORK IN PROGRESS)
  • Blank NPC and monster cards for gamemasters.

Those who have already purchased the first version of this product should keep an eye open here, RPGNet, The RPG Site, as well as their e-mail and the G+ community for Beyond the Wall for my announcement of the update's completion.

Spell and Ritual Cards

Work on the spell and ritual cards came to a halt when my wife had a health crisis. With that crisis being managed, I'll be completing this project as soon as I can get the GM screen updated. I'm going to get the core book material first and then gradually update the product to include the magic from the other books and material.

Again, anybody who purchases the first version of this product should keep an eye open here, the aforementioned forums, their e-mail, and the G+ community for Beyond the Wall for my announcement of the updates to this product.




My Sandbox: Dragon's End

Another fun project I've been working on has been a sandbox setting in the spirit of the old BECMI D&D gazeteer maps and hexcrawls. The project is currently going under the name "Dragon's End" - the name of one of the towns - and was originally called Thornhollow. Some of you on the G+ community for BtW might recall me posting some cover art for the project. That cover art is only a concept at this point and may change, as may the title.

While there's going to be a good amount of material and background in this product, it's not going to be a full-blown world like Golarion, Greyhawk, or the Forgotten Realms. You can definitely expect to find my take on gnomes in there as well as rules for dark elves, half elves, and other races (possibly including variations on dwarves, gnomes, and halflings). I'll also be including some iconic characters to act as guides to new heroes, notes on how to use this supplement with the scenario and threat packs released by Flatland Games, and sidebars on house rules I enjoy using in the game. It's kind of my love letter to BECMI D&D, Threshold, and B2 - Keep on the Borderlands, in a way. Below is a preview map which was inspired by the old ads for Mayfair's City-State of the Invincible Overlord products. In the future I'll release a couple of previews to keep you apprised of the product's progress.

Welcome to part of my sandbox! Map by Hexographer, icons by lorc, parchment template by Inked Adventures. Photoshop magic by me.

Circles of Heroes and a Quickstart

Other products on the drawing board are pre-generated groups of characters, both designed using the playbooks and the rules in the core rulebook. A few of these will be general adventuring groups but others will be thematic in nature. I'll also be developing a quickstart supplement, complete with pre-generated characters, a solo adventure, and a group adventure. This is another love letter to BECMI D&D with a special focus on the old Mentzer Basic D&D Player's Manual.

Other Ideas

I hope you've enjoyed a peek behind the curtain. What you see here are by no means the sum of what I want to do with and for Beyond the Wall. There are other ideas I have in the wings, but those are for another day, folks.

1 comment:

  1. Where do I get a copy of The GM pack now that it is no longer on DriveThru? Thank you.Any news on the spell cards/Dragon's End? Thx again.

    ReplyDelete