Tuesday, May 19, 2020

On Adapting

Change is hard. Change is scary. But sometimes change is necessary for survival. That's something everybody is learning in this ongoing pandemic. One would think that gaming would be immune to this, but it's not. Groups normally accustomed to meeting in person are having to meet online in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Our favorite gaming conventions and convention-related services have also felt the effects of all the uncertainty.

GenCon, GaryCon, PretzCon, Nuke-Con. All of these are institutions in our hobby, either locally or on a larger scale. While GenCon and GaryCon both canceled their physical events, they adapted quickly and went virtual. PretzCon, a smaller convention here in Omaha, sadly canceled for 2020 and now it looks like Nuke-Con is on equally uncertain footing.

I originally wasn't going to raise a fuss regarding the option of going virtual, but given possibility of Nuke-Con 2020's cancellation, I've decided to come out and say this: I would rather see a online Nuke-Con rather than no Nuke-Con at all this year.

While there are people who tout the efficacy of such things as social distancing, masks, gloves, and plastic shields, these measures aren't entirely foolproof. In a convention scene, they're pretty much counterproductive. Masks and gloves can tear or become otherwise contaminated; plastic shields are expensive. Also, I can't see myself sitting six feet away from my players, shouting over the din of an open convention hall through a mask. Living with multiple risk factors, the only way I'll truly feel safe in physically attending a convention is if a working COVID-19 vaccine is made readily available.

This might appear selfish to some people, but think about it. While we would all love to get together with our friends and love ones at Nuke-Con, we all have to act responsibly to prevent the spread of the virus. Meeting virtually is the only way around this, in my opinion. Yes, I know meeting online is not everyone's thing, but sacrifices have to be made in order to protect ourselves and others from this pandemic. I'd rather run my games online than not run them at all.

As such, I'm going to be registering my events – with the proviso that if Nuke-Con happens physically (with or without a virtual Nuke-Con), and a working vaccine is not available at the time, I will run my games on Roll20. I will be including info in my event descriptions for where players can go on Roll20 and Discord to find the games if I am not physically at the convention. I would only need communication from Nuke-Con as to who signed up for what game. No prize support, no con bucks, no physical support of any kind. Just communications from the event team regarding players.

So the long and short of it is this: if there's no vaccine, I won't be there physically at Nuke-Con; instead, I'll be more than happy to run my games online for anyone interested. If a vaccine is available, I'll take the jab and be there to run my games in person.

We're all in this together, folks, and I hope we're able to see each other for real in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment